François Fontès studied in Montpellier where he was taught by the renowned French naturalist Hervé Harant.
In 1969 he enrolled in the Montpellier school of architecture and simultaneously at Paul Valery University where he studied Urban Geography and Art History.
Fontès worked on establishing the regional development plan under the supervision of Professors Raymond Dugrand and Jean-Paul Volle. In 1975 he opened his own architectural practice and has since been rewarded with numerous national architecture awards.
His achievements include numerous public buildings, urban design and planning projects and social housing based on the sensitive interaction between natural and built environments. His research on habitat evolution was exhibited during the Architecture Biennale of Venice in 2008.
In 1990, under the aegis of ORSTOM (French Overseas Territories Scientific and Technical Research Office) and Cirad (Agricultural Research for Development), Fontès developed the International Centre of Agropolis, dedicated to the relation between human beings and their nutritional environment.
Fontès has developed priority teaching programs in Algeria, and through an on-going reflection on the architectural infrastructure of education in France, Fontès designed and built a number of buildings such as the Maryse Bastié college in Reims, Jean Monnet High Schools in Montpellier, Aristide Maillol High School in Perpignan, Marc Bloc high School in Sérignan, the University of Valence and the Medicine School in Montpellier. In 1990, Jean Monnet High School was awarded First prize for an award in European Excellence .
In 2009, Fontès became the acting president and editor in chief of the French international magazine L'Architecture d'Aujourd'hui.
Francois Fontès has completed numerous projects on a local and international scale.
These include the ‘The Insanity triangle’ in Paris, the Alexandrian Library in Egypt, and the extension of the La défense urban plaza in Paris in which he is the joint winner.
Since 1984 he has participated in the urban restructuration of the city of Nimes (south of France) with Jean Nouvel, Norman Foster, Kisho Kurosawa. Since 1988 he has participated in a number of important national and international competitions.
Mindful of the importance of integrating the built and natural environments, the respect for the architectural identity of regional areas, aesthetics and innovation, François Fontès is determined to enhance the city and the quality of life for its residents.
His ambition is to reach for excellence, in taking into account urban heritage and new forms of living he aims to build ambitious architectural works and to establish new horizons for the cities of tomorrow.
FONTES ARCHITECTURE AGENCY
The goals of François Fontès agency are numerous - ranging from feasibility studies for projects on pre-existing sites, to conceptual projects of urban complexes and more classic architectural demands. The versatile skills of each employee are a characteristic element of the agency.
- Nimes School of Art, France, 1988
- Research Centre for Fraud Control, Montpellier, France, 1992
- Archaeological Museum of Ruscino, Perpignan, France, 1991
- Jean Monnet High School, Montpellier, France, 1990 (First prize - European Excellence Award)
- Saverdun Junior High School, France, 1993
- Regional Sport Education Centre, Montpellier, 1993
- Agropolis International and Museum, Montpellier, 1994 -2010
- Tax office Building, Nimes, 1994
- Latour Maubourg University, Valence, France, 1994
- Var Departemental Office, Toulon, 1995 – in collaboration with Dominique Verroust
- Aristide Maillol High School and extension, Perpignan, France, 1995
- Auguste Loubatières High School and extension, Agde, France, 1996 and 2002
- Maryse Bastié Highschool, Reims, France, 1996
- University Sports Centre of Veyrassi, Montpellier, 1998
- Marseillan Primary and High School, 1999
- Joint Development and Improvement Area of Port Marianne, Montpellier, 1999 – in collaboration with architects Garcia-Diaz and A+
- Hospital Saint Charles rehabilitation, Montpellier, 2006
- Village on the lakes « Port du Roy », Aigues-Mortes, 2007
- Montpellier City Hall, Montpellier, 2013 – in collaboration with Jean Nouvel
- Joint Development and Improvement Area « Consuls de Mer II et III », Montpellier, 2011 – in collaboration with Jean Nouvel
- Apartment building « Iode », Palavas, 2012
- Apartment building « Les Pierres de Vialla », Prades le Lez, 2012
- BMW and Ford dealership, Montpellier, 2013
- Marc Bloch High School, Sérignan, 2013
- Advisory Group for International Agriculture Research Head Office, Montpellier, 2014
- University of Medicine, Montpellier – delivery 2016